Sunday 31 May 2015

A Cake For Nan







I had the privilege of meeting Martin Pawlett of Martin Pawlett Photography. We met through Cheshire Ladders' Pay It Forward game, where we swapped skills with other small businesses. Martin offered photography, so I offered cake! Here are some photos taken by Martin himself, and with my own phone camera with Martin's help :) It was his Nan's birthday so he asked for a victoria sponge cake for her. 

His only brief was to use light purple, and the rest was left to me, so this flower design was what I came up with. Some flowers are 'real'- gerberas, daisies and so on, while others are 'fantasy'. I piped royal icing dots on some of the flowers to give a bit more visual interest and texture. 

I had painted the sides of the cake with a purple shimmer, but it needed a lot more coating of the shimmer and so it didn't shine as much. I was also working with what I had- vodka - which made it quite difficult to paint on. I will need to buy some rose water for any shimmer work next time!

I will feature more of Martin's photos of my other cakes soon :)