Monday 30 March 2015

Coronation Street Cake




I got an email about a cake that had a Coronation Street theme. In the end, the design that was finalised was a rectangular shaped cake that doubled as the brick wall with the 'Coronation St' sign on the side of it, a figure of the birthday girl sitting on top of the cake. 

I started with the figure first. It was a bit last minute so I had to make sure I made the figure so it dried in good time. The brief for the clothing was- converse trainers, jeans, poncho and hat. I had a picture to work with and included a bit of make up on the face- red lipstick, a bit of blusher and mascara! 

The brick wall was great fun to make too- I had a fantastic time making the white sugarpaste come to life as a brick wall. I made the 'bricks' first with a ruler and cake tool (dresden tool I think it's called). Then I airbrushed the top of wall first and mixed yellow, peach and a bit of brown to get the stone effect. I airbrushed the bricks with a yellow first, then orange, then red, and finally some dark purple to get the multi coloured effect that I love on some kinds of bricks. I also airbrushed a bit of green on the bottom part of the wall to simulate algae that we often get in this very English climate. I finished the wall with some flowers, and added the name of the birthday girl to the board. 

I got a very lovely reaction from my customer 'better than I thought it would be' or something to that effect (sorry, Callum, can't remember what you said exactly!!!). 

On to the next cake!! Have a great day folks :)