Sunday 29 June 2014

The Golden Snitch





I've finally made my first sphere cake- and what a joy to make! I purchased the hemisphere pans from Lakeland (they had a sale after all) because it's way simpler than carving, which makes a huge mess and is time consuming. Did I mention it makes a lot of mess? The cake was made with chocolate cake and dark chocolate ganache. The wings were made of rice/wafer paper, also my first time to use rice/wafer paper, and everything was sprayed with edible bronze lustre. I thought about perhaps spraying with gold lustre, but decided that the snitch was more of a bronze than gold colour. Fortunately the lustre adhered to the ganache. If it hadn't it would have meant I had to cover the cake in fondant and then spray and covering a sphere cake in fondant isn't the easiest. 

Hope you like the cake!