Friday 4 March 2016

Lots of Cakes!









So it's been a busy few weeks in the Cake Jeanie studio! I'm loving the last few cakes that I've made.The Porsche cake was particularly challenging. I found it just a bit tricky to make a Porsche out of a whole block of sugarpaste, molding and shaping as I went along. My customer was pretty happy with the result. I even added a personalised number plate for hte birthday boy which they were pleased about! The Porsche logo was also fiddly but looked really good when done.

I added red, black and yellow ribbon on the side of the cake because it looked a bit bare when left white.

The gaelic football cake had a tricky goalpost. I first made the net out of piped cake lace. I left it overnight to dry on parchment paper and it peeled off the next day. Next time I will make the cake lace much thicker to get thinner and a more net-like effect but what I got wasn't bad at all! 

I also made the frame of the goal post in advance- the frame that sat behind the plastic goal posts that were made out of cake dowels. When everything was dry and ready to go on the cake, I first placed the plastic cake dowels into the cake, using a template to get the distance right. I then cut a cake dowel to a length that would span the distance between teh two, and measured the height (the height of the D shaped frame), then attached this piece of dowel with white florist tape. This was quite difficult because I was trying not to move the dowels in the cake.Then I placed the D shaped frame behind the dowels, using royal icing to glue it on. Once the frame was in place and the royal icing was dry, I cut pieces of net, using templates to get the right size, and glued on with royal icing. 

The kitten cake was my daughter's request. She wanted to be surprised, but because she's only 7, couldn't resist continually coming into the kitchen to have a peek. I just about managed to keep her from seeing it until her birthday. The kitten cake was almost straightforward. The design is from a book by Debbie Brown. I had lost my large circle attachment for my sugar gun, so I had to use my semi circle. There are lots of semi circular strands of sugar on this cake! The kitten was pretty easy to make, and so was the cake board wood effect, which I've done quite a few times. I just cover the board with sugarpaste, use a ruler to make a row of long lines (using the ruler as a guide for the width), and using the short end of the ruler to make smaller lines perpendicular to the long lines. Then I use the dresden tool to score the planks of wood, then paint with a mixture of ivory and brown.

George Pig and Shopkins were fun to make too. They both looked very cute in the end. The name of the birthday girl on the Shopkins cake was made based on the Shopkins logo, and handpainted (except for the name itself) onto the sugarpaste. 

Next up, the Paw Patrol Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment