Sunday 6 April 2014

The Green Dragon


What little boy doesn't love a dragon? Certainly Victor loved his! The main body of the dragon is vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. The head and tail are all made from fondant. The cake was carved to create the shape that you can see. I had made some dragon wings a week before. I forgot to take a picture of the wings after they were done, but here is a photo of the wire support for them:


I placed the wings on the cake just before the birthday song, as they were on the heavy side and I was afraid they would rip the fondant. Turns out I needn't have worried, and as long as they cake wasn't shaken about the wings were quite stable. Here is a photo of the cake with the wings, unfortunately there wasn't a lot of room to take a proper photo of the cake, and I was more concerned with taking a decent photo of the birthday boy.



You can see on the left side of the photo that there is a castle cake next to the dragon cake. The party was a joint one with Victor and my daughter, Mia, and the castle cake and dragon cake were made to complement each other. You can read about the castle cake, just click on this link.